- First Things First: Stop, Ask and Think.
- How to Think About the Money
- Where to Keep the Money while you’re Deciding What to Do
- Before Making Choices About Your Windfall
- 5 Great Choices for Windfall Funds
- Selecting and Working with Financial Professionals
- Hitting the Proverbial Jackpot: What to Do When You Get a Big Windfall
- What a Large Windfall Can Affect
- Before You Quit Your Job
- How to Handle People Wanting to Share in your Wealth
- How to Think About and Handle Charitable Requests
Hitting the Proverbial Jackpot: What to Do When You Get a Big Windfall
If you learn that you’re going to come into a large amount of money – say more than $100,000 – and especially if there’s the possibility that it will be well-publicized (like a lottery win), there are a few things you can do right away to keep your wits about you and avoid making major personal and financial mistakes.
- Consider getting out of the house for a bit – either taking a trip or even just staying with some friends or family members.
- Look into changing your phone number and having it “unlisted.”
- Consider taking vacation time, or even requesting unpaid leave, from work.
- Get recommendations from close, trusted friends and family members to find a lawyer and financial adviser.